2021 election InformationLittleton HistoryLittleton 8 TVMap GalleryCommunity OutreachParks & TrailsThings come Do
COVID-19 InformationCity DepartmentsPublic works ProjectsOnline PaymentsPermits & LicensesGreen/Environmental ProgramsMunicipal CourtTransportationUtilities
Building & InspectionsOther permits & LicensesCity CodeDevelopment task ListPlanning and also Zoning ServicesCode EnforcementHistoric PreservationCommunity DevelopmentPublic functions & EngineeringPublic works Projects

Subpages...

You are watching: Us post office littleton co

Littleton resources Fix+2021 election Information+Littleton History-Biographies+Historic Littleton Buildings-Arapahoe county Courthouse+AT&SF rail Depot+D&RG rail Depot+Geneva Lodge+Littleton Creamery+Other Topics+Government the Littleton+Littleton institution District No. 6+Littleton 8 TV+Map Gallery+Community Outreach+Parks & Trails+South Platte Park and also River+Trails in Littleton+Bike/Ped grasp Plan+WWII Memorial+Things to Do+
*
Littleton short article Office, 5753 S. Prince St., c.1940. The short article office moved right into this brand-new building in 1939.

Local Landmark (National it is registered of historic Places and also Colorado State it is registered of historical Properties)—2019

Littleton got its first postmark on April 8, 1869.Richard Sullivan tiny was its an initial postmaster. In 1876 Mrs. Little"s parental bought a hotel the stood in ~ the southwest edge of Rapp Street and Bowles Avenue and named that the Harwood Inn. That is believed that, at least from that date, tiny used it because that the post office.Julius D. Hill succeeded tiny as postmaster in 1886 and served till 1893. During Hill"s ax the post office remained in his general store in ~ the corner of Rapp Street and Malinda, (now Alamo). This is currently 5728-34 south Rapp.

Following Mr. Hill together postmaster in July 1893 to be Robert H. Nelson, Sr., who erected a structure on main Street and also moved the write-up office there. The July 1893 Sanborn insurance allowance map shows a structure under construction on the southern side of key Street one door east of Curtice. That two-story brick structure is now 2580 West Main and also is believed to have actually been the site of the write-up office in 1893. Mr. Nelson passed away in office in February 1895. His successor, Col. Robert S. Moore, to be appointed in so late March. It appears that Col. Moore moved the short article office to the north side of key Street between Prince and Nevada, since an ad on April 12, 1895 for H. F. McArthur"s grocery store figured out the McArthur store ar as "in the Abbott Block, opposite post office." The Abbott Block is currently at 2430-2440 West Main, indicating that the post office in 1895 to be probably throughout the street at around 2439 West key where three little buildings preceded the 1921-1922 structure in i beg your pardon Hanson Brothers printing is at this time housed.

By 1900 the write-up office was ago at 2580 West Main, follow to the Sanborn map of that year. Maud Olmsted, the town"s first woman postmistress, had been appointed in December 1899 and was reappointed for 4 years in 1902 once Littleton was readjusted from a fourth class to a third class post office.

Littleton post Office, 2015. Picture by Amelia Martinez.

Competition because that the office in 1906 was active with at least eight applicants. It more than likely became more so when rise in salary from $1200 to $1300 per year was announced. The winner wasClark Z. Cozens who offered although his health was failing. On January 8, 1908 the write-up office was robbed. When miss Ruby Cozens, who remained in charge of the office during her father"s illness, arrived the next morning, she found the safe blown open and "a liberal quantity of booty" taken. The shock had been solid enough come shake bottles off the shelves in Louis and also Martin"s drug store in the adjoining room. This description, in addition to the Sanborn map the 1908, shows the short article office to be then in the eastern end the the expansion that had actually been added to the Coors Building, (now the lengthy storefront the is 2485 West Main). Clark Cozens died a mainly later. His other daughter, Jessie Cozens, (later Shellabarger), to be appointed to succeed him.

A photograph taken between 1900 and 1907 plainly shows the article office in the east end of the Coors building annex with Louis & boy name Drugs following door west.

Rural route postal business had begun on July 1, 1902. City carrier organization was begun on November 16, 1912 as among only fifteen urban in a nationwide experiment by the postal department to see whether it can be effective in communities of not less than 1,000 population. The delivery area was bounded by Berry Street top top the north, Peabody Street top top the south, Rapp Street top top the west and also Littleton Hospital top top the east. The variety of patrons grew from 150 to over 800 in ~ a year. They to be asked to placed up some kind of box for their mail. By then, 2 rural paths covered practically fifty miles; one route gone into Douglas and also Jefferson counties and also Arapahoe. The post office to be still housed in the Coors structure extension. By about 1917 its attend to was 2459 West Main. This may have been the same location, however with much more storefronts occupying the Coors building extension. The next door eastern of this expansion in 2003 is numbered 2455 West key Street. An deal with of 2459 West key in 1917 most likely would have been in the eastern finish of the Coors structure extension. In 1925 city mail shipment was started in the "Windermere district" which was the Gallup Street area.

In 1925A. J. Valore developed the first unit that his three-storefront block in ~ the northeast edge of Main and Prince streets. From around 1927 to 1939 that rented his west building to the write-up office.

Littleton anticipated as early as 1931 the a brand-new post office building would be constructed with federal funds. In march of the year the Littleton Independent received a telegram native Congressman Charles B. Timberlake saying that Littleton had been allocated $100,000 because that the building, and also that he intended the money would certainly be appropriated by the complying with December. In reality the short article office was finally developed in 1939 in ~ a expense of $53,000 v Works Progress management funds.

Located at the northwest corner of Prince and also Alamo streets, the one-story brick building represented the colonial Revival layout in its gabled roof through a center cupola topped through a weather vane. Entrance was through twin doors top top the east flanked by hardwood columns and topped by one arch ornamented with a actors bronze eagle. Multi-light double-hung sash windows with stone lintels and also sills were various other details. Iron light short articles sat ~ above either next of the large steps, and a wrought iron fence stretched across the front. Supervising architect to be Louis A. Simon, and also Wickes design was the contractor.

A thirteen-by-four-foot mural was painted by WPA artist man Fraser to elegant the lobby wall. He functioned from photographs in theLittleton elevation to develop a composite step of Littleton reflecting farms, cows, trains and also the Columbine Mill. The paint was rated one of the twelve finest murals done by WPA artists for a city in every of the forty-eight states in the country at the time. That was removed at some unknown date years later. Bob McQuarie, manager of the Littleton historic Museum, found it in the 1970s, "rolled up like a item of wallpaper and also dropped in a corner." Dirty and yellowed, it forced the work-related of conservators at the Rocky mountain Conservation facility in Denver come clean and restore that in 1985. McQuarie said, "This painting plays crucial part in Littleton"s history since it reflects the significance of this city-agriculture-in a time we"ll never ever see again. It"s a mix of every the things that made Littleton into a small, farming neighborhood with the own, distinctive character. And also most that all, it"s the only scene developed by a artist to convey the nature the Littleton prior to World battle II."

*
Today, man Fraser"s mural is hung in the City Council room at the Littleton Center, 2255 West Berry Avenue.

By 1948 the short article office had twenty employees and served 3 rural routes, one star route, a mounted (on a car, not a horse) city route and also two city carriers.

The original component of the 1939 Littleton write-up Office structure is little changed since its construction. An enhancement of wings to the north and also west in 1962 tripled the floor space. Throughout the construction, the post office was relocated to 2640 West key Street. The hardest points to relocate were the heavy post office box sections. In 2017 enhancements were made come the post office building including exterior mill occupational on the window frames in the pinnacle.

The 1939 building is the major public works project of the Depression era in Littleton. In 2019 it was designated a local landmark. It proceeds to serve Littleton residents. The Highlands Ranch post Office, 9609 southern University Boulevard was, however, designated the main post office because that Littleton in October 1992. At the time the postmaster"s office was moved to Highlands Ranch.

Postmasters who have actually served Littleton:
8 April 1869 Richard S. Little
17 July 1886 Julius D. Hill
15 July 1893 Robert H. Nelson, commissioned
29 in march 1895 Robert S. Moore, commissioned
11 December 1895 James J. Wilson, commissioned
1 December 1899 Maud Olmsted
27 June 1902 Maud Olmsted, reappointed, ns & S (appointed through the chairman & confirmed by Congress.)
22 June 1906 Clark Z. Cozens, p & S
11 march 1908 Jessie L. Cozens, ns & S
1 march 1912 Edward H. Albertson, ns & S
29 march 1916 L. F. Allen, ns & S
4 June 1920 L. F. Allen, reappointed, p & S
1 October 1921 Fred M. Moore, acting
20 February 1923 Fred M. Moore, p & S
22 in march 1926 Fred M. Moore
22 march 1930 Fred M. Moore, reappointed
17 might 1934 Mrs. Effie B. Jackson, commissioned
2 respectable 1937 Willard Teller, acting
15 February 1938 Willard A. Teller, commissioned
29 June 1942 Willard A. Teller, commissioned
18 November 1942 Francis M. Connett, acting
16 April 1956 Earl K. Downing, commissioned
12 march 1957 Francis M. Connett, acting
6 respectable 1957 Francis M. Connett, commissioned
17 march 1967 Arthur P. Ryan, acting
November 1971 Robert J. Shoates
3 June 1978 Joseph A. Dick, appointed
29 December 1980 Kenny E. Smith, acting
11 July 1981 John C. Sauer, appointed
October 1992, postmaster moved to Highlands Ranch

Bibliography

Campuzano, Denise. Customer connections Manager. United States short article Office, 9609 southern University Boulevard, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126. Telephone interview by Doris Farmer Hulse, November 2000.

Insurance Map, Littleton, Arapahoe County, Colorado. Brand-new York: Sanborn-Perris, 1893, 1900, 1908, 1914.

Littleton (Colo.) Independent. The Littleton live independence Publishers, 1888- .

Littleton Museum. Map File: Julius D. Hill; Littleton short article Office.

____. Photographic Archives.

Simmons, R. Laurie and Thomas H. Simmons. "Historic structures Survey, Littleton, Colorado, Littleton Townsite the 1890." three volumes. Denver: Front selection Research Associates, Inc., 1997, 1998.

____. "Littleton key Street, Littleton, Colorado, nationwide Register of historic Places, district Nomination." Denver: Front range Research Associates, Inc., 1997.

United States short article Office Department. Record of Appointments that Postmasters, 1832-September 1971, Colorado, Colorado Territory. Littleton. Micropublication M841, rolls 14 & 15. Washington: national Archives.

See more: Can You Use Ddr3 On A Ddr4 Motherboard ? Ddr4 Vs Ddr3 With Linus Tech Tips

Photographs courtesy the the Littleton Museum, unless otherwise noted; come order copies, call the Museum in ~ 303-795-3950.